Toolkit: Preliminary ruling requests for the CJEU
To date, there are significant and important rulings by the CJEU in respect of the European Arrest Warrant, but only a limited number of requests for references have been made in relation to the EU procedural rights directives.
CJEU references can help support implementation of EU law by Member States. This toolkit provides practical advice and encourage criminal law practitioners to see the CJEU as a regular and accessible forum. It includes:
- an overview of the preliminary ruling procedure;
- practical guidance on drafting preliminary reference requests;
- guidance on the urgent procedure (known as the PPU procedure);
- tips to defence practitioners on how to initiate a preliminary reference requests; and
- example EU law questions that could be referred to the CJEU.